Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Movie - Food, Inc.

The other day I watched an episode of Oprah and she has author Michael Pollan on talking about the documentary/movie called Food, Inc. I really didn't know what it was about so I just listened with an open mind. Well, I had no idea. I rented that move Food, Inc that same night and was shocked and surprised as it talked about our food industry and where our food comes from.

I have always been careful to try and buy organic fruits and veggies when I can and try to buy healthy food for my family. When I buy fruit I try to buy the most local stuff rather then buying fruit that has been flown all the way in from Chile. Sometimes you can't get around it but at least I try.

Food, Inc opened my eyes to a whole new world of where our meat comes from and how these large companies have pretty much taken over the market and set the low standards for our meat. For example, a chicken used to take 3 months to grown before it was slaughtered and it was much smaller then the chickens today. Now, they pump chickens with so much antibiotics that they grow so fast they can be slaughtered in 49 days. The chicken grows so fast that the organs, muscles and bones can't support the weight and they can't walk but a few steps. These chickens are kept in dark over crowded barns where there is feces and other dead chickens. It really is disgusting and totally grossed me out. What I find even more interesting is these big meat companies (Tyson, IBC, Smithfield and there is one more and I forgot the name) woldn't allow the cameras in the barns. Hmm... what are they hiding? There is SO MUCH more information in that movie that you really have to see.

The reason I am telling you this is because I feel that everyone should watch this movie and decide for yourself. Educate yourself beyond this movie. Start asking where you food comes from. Start making better and healthier choices in the food that you feed your body. I am not going to become a vegetarian because I do love meat every now and then but I will be more careful about the meat I eat and the meat I feed my family. I will start to buy more local and go to more farmers markets. Again, I am going to make better decisions.

Michael Pollan wrote a couple books and I bought two of them. The first one is called "In Defense of Food" and the other is called "Food Rules". Food Rules is a simple read and has some rules of eating food. They are simple and totally make sense. for example, "Avoid food products containing ingredients that no ordinary human would keep in their pantry, Avoid food ingredients that a third grader can not pronounce, Don't eat breakfast cereals that change the color of the milk". You get the point.

Anyways, I hope you will take the time to watch this movie and make up your own mind. Knowledge is power!

1 comment:

Richard said...

HEY! What's all this healthy eatin' stuff? I raised you on Rolled Tacos, Burritos, Charleston Chews and Suicides! I thought you were gonna turn out OK, and then you go and pull this!
Just don't go Vegan on me!
LuvUMoreThanHealthFood,
Dad