Well, last night kinda sucked. One of my favorite chickens died on my lap. Tank was not even a year old yet and just started laying eggs a couple months ago. She was a mix of a silkie and such a sweet chicken. She was usually one of the first to come greet me when I went out to the coop.
I have had a problem with tapeworm in my chickens for a while now. I can not get rid of them! Plus, from what I have read online, they are really hard to get rid of. Some of chickens have looked a little thin so I knew I needed to work them again. Yesterday all 19 chickens were wormed. Tank has been acting a little different lately by standing off to the side and just standing still. SO, yesterday afternoon I put her in a separate dog cage in the garage with some medicated water. I kept checking on her but she wasn't eating or drinking. Last night before I was going to get in bed, I went out to the garage to check on her and she was having a hard time breathing. I picked her up to hold her and check her out and she died. It wasn't pretty because she thrashed around and was making some weird noises. Needless to say, It scared and shocked me that she died in my arms! There is a bit of speculation as to why she dies, but really, who knows.
Tank will be missed - she was such a sweet girl! Below are a couple pictures of Tank from a couple months ago.
Science Lesson
13 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment