Sunday, January 27, 2013

Chicken Buffet

Today I cleaned out the chicken coop really good because everything was damp and wet from the few days of rain we got here. After I clean the coop the chickens know they will get a treat. Today it was a broccoli plant that had already produced broccoli for me so I had the big leafy plant left. I just pull that big sucker out of the ground and throw it in the coop. The chickens LOVE it! They sure are lucky I have a garden and can give them plants like that.

I have 19 chickens now. About two weeks ago, Sparkles died. It was so sad because she had gotten very skinny and was molting. It got really cold here so I put her in the garage with a heat lamp to keep her warm. After a night or two, I went out there and she was dead in her sleep. I had jest checked on her before she died. It was a shocker to me because I certainly didn't expect her to die. She was my first dead chicken and won't be my last. So now I am down to 19 chickens.

My three littlest chickens are Buckeye chickens. They are super curious and have a very sweet demeanor. They are so curious that every day I go in the coop, one or two of them flies up to my shoulder or my back. It's funny but also super annoying when I am trying to clean the coop! the other day they tried to fly up on Kennedy's shoulder and she about came unglued - it scared her. Once I told her what the chicken wanted to do, she laughed.

That is a day in the life of Paige's Peeps.



No comments: