Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Shelby's Birth Story

I finally have a little time to share Shelby's birth story! We have been getting settled in at home and everyone is doing great. Shelby is such a good baby and really only cries if she gets really hungry. Well, she doesn't like getting a bath either. She just doesn't like to be cold. Right now she is sleeping a lot and such a snuggle bug. She loves to be held and likes to be near me and Matt at night. I am loving all my newborn snuggles! We are so very lucky to have such a beautiful, healthy baby girl.

Kennedy is adjusting very well - we are so proud of her. She LOVES her baby sister and always wants to be around her "helping" mommy. She must give Shelby 50 kisses a day and loves to hold her hand. Our biggest problem is teaching Kennedy how to give her sister space and not squish her. We are so lucky that Kennedy is so loving toward Shelby.

I have been feeling great! I feel so much better then I did when I had Kennedy. I think it is because this labor was so fast. I have been up and about, went to the grocery store yesterday and made dinner and dessert last night. Matt has been very helpful around the house and I am loving having us all home together right now. Matt doesn't have to go back to work until the end of August.

Here is the Shelby's birth story:

I was scheduled for an induction on Tuesday, July 27th. I was instructed to call Kaiser in the morning at 8:30 and see when I could come in (depended on how busy they were). When I called they told me to call back in a couple hours. The waiting was torture! Finally I called back and they told is to be there at noon. Below is the last pictures as a family of three.


After we got to Kaiser at noon and got checked in, they started me on antibiotics. I needed at least 4 hours of antibiotics in my system before they wanted me to deliver. When I checked in I was having contractions on my own and was already dilated to 3 cm. Once I had about 3 hours of antibiotics they started me on a very low dose of pitocin to get the contractions going a little stronger. It worked. I started having contractions but they were managable for me. My mom, dad, sister and Matt were in the room hanging out and then Matt's dad arrived a little later. Cathy was busy at home taking care of Kennedy for us. Or should I say "spoiling" Kennedy!
After an hour they upped the dose of pitocin a little bit and I was dilated to 4 cm. I knew the I was going to get an epidural eventually so they called to have it put in while I wasn't in much pain. As soon as they gave me the epidural they broke my water and upped the pitocin a little bit again. That really brought on the contractions. Within half an hour I was feeling the urge to push and really feeling like I was going to have that baby. We called for the nurse and she checked me and I was dilated to 6 with really strong contractions and still the urge to push. The nurse hung out for a couple contractions and then checked me again and I was dilated to 9 cm! I was ready! Below is a pic of me having a contraction and Matt and Tricia enjoying the show.

My nurse midwife came in and next thing I know I was pushing. After a few pushes, Shelby Pauline was born weighing 7 lbs 3 oz. and 20 inches long. She was born one hour after I got the epidural and had my water broken. She came fast! So, from the time I checked in and got my room, I had her in 6 hours later. From the time I got pitocin and had her it was about 3 1/2 hours or so.


We had a fantastic experience at Kaiser. All the nurses were wonderful and we had our own postpartum room for 2 nights. Even the food was great! We are so happy that Shelby has joined our family!

2 comments:

Richard said...

Great story! I am glad we were all there for it. What a great day!

Inzano Family Blog said...

I was wondering how fast that baby arrived! Love all the play-by-play...Always good to know others' story's before my big day comes! Sounds like everything went really smooth for you, I'm so happy she is a healthy little girl! Congrats Moe family!